Sunday, April 22, 2007

Let's Start a New Week and Let's Make It Better

It was a bad week for Virginia, and if we ever needed Kurt (by which I mean Vonnegut, not Cobain) it was in these recent days of mourning. “So it goes” can’t begin to cover it. In the wake of one of my absolute favorite author’s passing, I heard one tribute mention an epitaph Vonnegut said he would like:
“The only proof he needed of the existence of God was music.”

As usual, he said what I felt. So let’s resume our musical musings and hope that the future offers some reason to hope. Going, going, Gone-zales, perhaps?

Catching up with some recent Post previews, these are new in the Archives:
Austin rock hero Bob Schneider
NPR news quiz host Peter Segal
local roots masters Dead Men’s Hollow
uber indie guy Andy Zipf

And resuming the O/CD Project, here are (some of) the recent acquisitions…
My Own Cash Money:
1. BRIGHT EYES – CASSADAGA (Saddle Creek)
Hands down the coolest CD cover of the year, possibly the last decade, and a Top Ten for all time. After I pulled the clear logo/title sticker off the plastic wrap, I noticed the smudgy lines on the textured gray cover. Inside the fold-out digipack is a “Spectral Decoder” which, when you hold it over the smudgy spots reveals beautiful lenticular, nearly holographic images. So freakin’ cool!
And, so far at least, the music is leaving a solid first impression. Though I’ve never doubted Conor Oberst’s talent, I’ve thought him a bit overwrought in the past, but this time he seems to have found a sense of balance to match his ambitions. I’d probably be playing this CD a lot more if it wasn’t for…
2. PETER BJORN and JOHN – Writer’s Block (Almost Gold)
…which is in permanent rotation in my car. And it’s not just “Young Folks” (a.k.a. “The Whistling Song”) and no, I don’t care one bit that it was used on “Grey’s Anatomy” ‘cause I don’t watch the show (I tried, but my daughters kicked me out when I started calling Lizzie a psychopath). No, this song got me for its own wicked, gimmicky charm and then convinced me to stay ‘cause it’s just too much fun to ignore. And, happy surprise, the rest of the album is catching fire, too. The trio echoes other acts I love, like Eno/Bowie (“Amsterdam”) and uses unexpected instrumentation (are those steel drums on “Let’s Call It Off”?) and harken back to the better acts of the synth-pop era without the bad hair. Catchy, catchy stuff that’s growing with each listen.
3. BEYONCE – B-Day (Sony Urban Music/Columbia)
To the left, to the left…my husband can’t ask for directions anymore without Grace and I using every opportunity to sing his next turn. I put the album in the queue at my YourMusic account (one CD per month via automatic delivery for $6.99, shipping included) just to have “Irreplacable.” And so far, I’ve barely touched the other songs there.
4. The ACADEMY IS… - Sante – (Fueled by Ramen/Atlantic)
Purchased for High School Girl. Produced by Bruce Walker. No impression yet, though I’ve seen – and enjoyed – the band twice in concert with HSG.
5. MODEST MOUSE – We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (Epic)
The combination of Brock and Marr is hereby declared a success. “Dashboard” is such a great song, so I’m surprised it’s not the first single, and the rest have unfolded slowly, surely and quite deliciously. It made the grade for our long car trip, satisfying me, the hubby and HSG all at once, and we listened from beginning to end, rare for us in our car-induced ADD.
6. KINGS OF LEON – Because of the Times (RCA)
I love this band so much that I’m surprised I haven’t listened more than once since getting it the week it was released. No smack to the Kings; I just haven’t had the time.
7. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Have You Heard the New Sound of Alternative Rock (EMI Music Special Markets)
$2.24 at Target, so I couldn’t resist.
8. CECIL B. DEMENTED – Music from the Motion Picture (RCA)
Six bucks at the Andy Warhol Museum gift shop (a great shop stop the next time you’re in Pittsburgh). I haven’t seen many John Waters movies (I’m a wimp, not a prude) but I love his writings, his general persona, and he always does right by the music in his films.
9. The GOOD, The BAD & The QUEEN – S/T (Virgin)
You could call it a “super group" with Damon Albarn (Gorillaz), Paul Simonon (The Clash), Tony Allen (Fela Kuti) and Simon Tong (The Verve) and Danger Mouse in the mix, but the results have proven to be not-so. Each time I put this CD on, I’m initially intrigued but lose interest as the songs roll on and nothing seems to develop. By the arrival of the Big Important Long Song at the End, I’ve stopped caring.


Thrift store steals ($1.50 each)
10. The CARDIGANS – First Band on the Moon (Mercury)
Worth it just for “Lovefool” and “Your New Cukoo” and I’m curious to heat the rest.
11. JACK’S MANNEQUIN – Everything in Transit (Maverick)
This is on Madonna’s label? I wouldn’t think she had enough taste to sign an act this good. Grace and I both know this music real well from a CD burned for us by the College Girl, but I like having the official release.
12. VARIOUS ARTISTS - That’s Squintertainment (Zondervan Interactive)
I bought it because it offered “The best digital clip art for your youth ministry publicity” so I figured it might have some Jesus fun, and then I discovered it had music as well, so it makes the list.

Missing from the last CD trade-in store visit:
13. WBCN Naked Too
Unreleased live performances, mostly by those I don’t care about (Creed, Scott Weiland, Eve 6, Jewel) and a few I do (David Bowie, Barenaked Ladies). Actually, most of them are drips, but I can resell on ebay.

Sent by the PR Peeps:
14. POKEMON X: 10 Years of Pokemon (KOCH)
15. The WIGGLES – Racing to the Rainbow (KOCH)
16.UMPHREY’S McGEE – The Bottom Half (SCI)
17.JOSS STONE – Introducing (Virgin)
18.FAVORITE SONS – Down Beside Your Beauty (Vice/Atlantic)
19.DANIEL LEE MARTIN – On My Way to You (ChinMusic)
20.ANTSY McCLAIN and the TRAILER PARK TROUBADOURS – Trailercana (DPR Records)
21.UTAH CAROL – Rodeo Queen (self-released)

Advances:
22.RAY’S VAST BASEMENT – Starvation Under Orange Trees (Howells Transmitter)
July 3rd release for this “folk of the retro-future.”
23.SUZANNE VEGA – Beauty & Crime (Blue Note/EMI)
Out July 17th

I know I’m keeping:
24. CORINNE BAILEY RAE – S/T (Capitol)
The newly issued double CD version of the fine young singer’s debut includes a second disc of new tunes and a few covers, including a wonderful take on one of 2006’s best songs, The Editors’ “Munich.”

Good First Impressions:
25. READYMADE BREAKUP – Isn’t That What It’s For? (self-released)
26. JE SUIS FRANCE – Afrikan Majik (Antenna Farm Records)
All around the block and then some, starting with an energizing instrumental (“Sufficiently Breakfast”) and sprawling on through a highly entertaining and invigorating mess o’ styles. The PR kit called it, “Here Come the Warm Jets as played by Pavement.” I’ll buy that.
27. SOMEONE STILL LOVES YOU BORIS YELTSIN – Broom (Polyvinyl)
28. GRUFF RHYS – Candylion (Rough Trade)
29. The ALTERNATE ROUTES – Good and Reckless and True (Vanguard)
30.The SAPS – C’mon Already – Start a Fire (self-released)

Coming/Came to town:
31. BALKAN BEAT BOX – Nu Med (JDUB)
32. BOB SCHNEIDER – The Galaxy Kings (Shockorama/Vanguard)
33. BOB SCHNEIDER – I Have Seen the End of the World and It Looks Like This (Shockorama/Vanguard)
34. BOB SCHNEIDER – The Californian (Vanguard)
35. BOB SCHNEIDER & MITCH WATKINS – Underneath the Onion Trees (Shockorama/Vanguard)
36. The NIELDS – All Together Singing in the Kitchen (Peter Quince Productions)
37. DAGMAR and the SEDUCTONES – Come Back to Me (TYM Records)
38. CATIE CURTIS – Long Night Moon (Compass Records)
39. The WAYBACKS – From the Pasture to the Future (Compass)
40. 41.PAM TILLIS – Rhinestoned (Stellar Cat)
Actually, I got two copies of this; one, an advance some weeks ago, and a second in conjunction with the show, at Wolf Trap.
42. DAVID VANDERVELDE – The Moonstation Mouse Band (Secretly Canadian)
43. MATT WERTZ – Everything in Between (Nettwerk)
It was sent in a generic cardboard envelope that label info but no other identifying information, so I’m always forgetting what’s inside. A simple omission that always works against the artist. Where’s my sharpie?

YTD Total: 133

No comments: