Thursday, February 08, 2007

It's Pazz and Jop Time Again

The annual Village Voice Critics Poll came out this week, and – as this is the one poll I’ve participated in for the past 15 years or so - it’s always fun to see what their broad selection (dozens, maybe even hundreds) of music writers considers the best of the year. You can see the overall results here and, if you like, my personal ballot.

Part of the fun is seeing where my picks stand as regards the top ranked CDs. Am I still plugged in? Am I hip to what’s happening? What’s my street cred, dawg? As usual, I’m on the softer side of Sears.

While I was part of the herd for albums like The Decemberists (I still feel bad for leaving them off my list last year), The Thermals and Regina Spektor, all of whom placed in the Top 50, there’s two discs in the Top 10 that I wouldn’t know if they licked my face (more likely they’d just call me names) – Ghostface Killah andClipse. No, I’m just not the hip-hop type, and since I have to buy the majority of my mainstream market CDs, I don’t hear a lot of that brand of buzz stuff. Only 9 other critics joined with me in giving props to Josh Ritter, and no one else at all placed Matt Nathanson, World/Inferno Friendship Society , The Cat Empire or Teitur
in their Top 10.

I was more in tune with the pack on the singles, since those get airplay in the general marketplace. I was in on the #1 single with everybody else –Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy.” But the success of that group really reinforces my position in a way. It’s a rare hip-hop record indeed that reaches across the demographic (even more than racial) divide to grab me. The single I stood totally alone in praising was The Editors’ “Munich,” but the tally says that a few people had chosen it in 2005.

Does this all mean that, ultimately, I’m more of a pop girl than a rock chick? Nah. I just like what I like.

No comments: