Tuesday, January 23, 2007

One Pound = Two Dollars

And finally, for the O/CD project, here's the musical acquisitions from the Trip Across the Pond:

From the newsstand at the tube station:
1.VARIOUS ARTISTS - The Playlist Vol. 3 (Playmusic Magazine)
I thought I would load up on all my favorite British magazines and save money doing so, but with the awful dollar value, I would save very little $ and have to lug the extra weight, so I grabbed only this one, which I haven’t seen in the U.S. Grace immediately fell in love with the cute band on the cover, so I picked up the CD for her later in the trip.

At the TESCO Express across from Liverpool Station:
2. VARIOUS ARTISTS - NME: The Essential Bands
Why is it that the British do such good compilations? This 2-CD set cost me almost $25, but it is jam-packed with all the names I’ve been reading about, and offers genuine hits (now I don’t have to buy the only Killers single worth hearing from the new CD) and great new discoveries.
3. PAOLO NUTINI - These Streets (Atantic)
He’s young and he’s Scottish and he’s cute, so when I saw a good write-up – with nice photo – in a magazine some time ago, I “gave” him to my teenage neighbor/cat sister as her new boyfriend and promised to find the CD in our travels. He’s not bad – bright pop/rock with a bit more credibility than the usual pretty boys.
4. The AUTOMATIC - Not Accepted Anywhere (B-Unique/Polydor)
The cute band Grace spied on the cover of Playmusic magazine. The single “Monster” is silly rock fun.

At the HMV store in The Oracle, Reading:
5. GET CAPE. WEAR CAPE. FLY - The Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager (Atlantic)
LOVED the band name, and the sticker promised a sound (Billy Bragg-ish) that I might like, so I took the chance.
6. LILY ALLEN - Still, Alright (Transgressive)
She’s a big star in Britain, and is about to launch her U.S. assault next month. Grace immediately took to her, and I like the sassy female vibe. She sounds bright and poppy, but listen closely and she’s telling off the boys in no uncertain terms, while celebrating a sunny day in London, watching crack whores and granny thieves at work. We like our ladies sweetly subversive.
7. The FRATELLIS - Costello Music (Drop the Sun Recordings)
Grace took to their song on the NME compilation, and the buzz was good, so we took another chance, and it paid off. Goofy but talented, with a distinctly British dance hall theatricality and juvenile (in a nice way) spunk, kinda like The Faces’ little brothers. Songs with whistling and engaging singalong ‘na-na-na” chorus and titles like "Vince the Loveable Stoner" and "Got Ma Nuts from a Hippy." What’s not to love?
8. SPIRITUALIZED - Amazing Grace (Sanctuary)
I've followed this band for awhile, but like them more in theory (great packaging) than in practice (I rarely listen through an entire CD). Since this title was on super-sale (2 pounds), I took another chance, but can't say a first listen changed my mind. Elements I liked, but not consistently.
9. The YOUNG KNIVES - Voices of Animals and Men (Transgressive)
When Terry came back from a trip to England last Novemeber, he said this was the band he kept hearing about. I found a single of theirs in the Tower records clearance and was quite taken with it, so the band was top o' the radar for this trip's music search. And the full CD lives up to my expectations - plenty of spiky hooks, odd detours and angular rhythms - real alternative rock.

10. DOCTOR WHO - Radio Times freebie (BBC Audiobooks)

Gifts from my British friends
11. JAMES BROWN - Funky Christmas (Polygram)
I have a variation of this album in another form – probably just the American release.
12. VARIOUS ARTISTS - In the City - Unsigned
Three discs of new alternative rock. Will be a challenge to know who’s who, since the iTunes playlist print-out stopped with disc one.

Virgin Records store at airport:
13. SCOTT MATTHEWS - Passing Strangers (San Remo)
Heard this playing in-store at the HMV in Reading, and thought it sounded neat, but the price was close to $20 American, and I had plenty of others to buy. Luckily, saw it again at the airport store for about $15, and am glad I brought it home. A soulful voice and a sweet vibe.
14. BASEMENT JAXX- The Singles (XL Recordings)
Gracie’s choice, and a great car album, full of fist-pumping fun. Favorite tracks: “Romeo” and “Where’s Your Head At?”

YTD total: 16

No comments: