Sunday, December 31, 2006

It's the End of the Year As We Know It

Okay, so I've been less than diligent in keeping the blog going this past/last month. The holidays kept me hopping, and the end of Tower Records (so sad to see you go, Red and Yellow Retail Wonder) had me scarfing up music at a rate that would have been hard to track while maintaining a real life. I estimate I bought nearly 200 CDs in the past month, as prices dropped to ridiculous lows. At the bittersweet end, full-length CDs were less than a buck each, and singles were 10 cents. I found stuff I'd been waiting for, made great discoveries, was free to experiment with bands I'd only heard about, and bought CDs just because I liked the covers. It'll take the next few weeks just to test them out, a lovely way to start the year (though I'd gladly have passed it up if it meant keeping the store open).

The CPF blog will be revamped in the new year. I resolve to obesess less and write more, true to the Blog Spirit. More photos, links, and reports from the music field as things happen. Here's to the Clean Slate, the Fresh Approach.

For the final entry of 2006, here's my ballot for the Village Voice Pazz and Jop Poll, which I sent off today, the final day to submit. (I love deadlines. I like the sound they make as they whoosh by!)

Top Ten Albums of the Year:
Josh Ritter - The Animal Years (V2)
The Decemberists – The Crane Wife (Capitol)
Jose Gonzalez – Veneer (Mute)
Regina Spektor – Begin to Hope (Sire)
Matt Nathanson – At the Point (Acrobat)
The Cat Empire (Velour)
Elbow - Leaders of the Free World (V2)
Teitur – Stay Under the Stars (Equator)
World/Inferno Friendship Society - Red-Eyed Soul (Chunksaah)
The Thermals – The Body the Blood the Machine (SubPop)

The Other Ones That Almost Made It:
Julian Velard – The Movies Without You (Saing)
Arctic Monkeys – Whatever You Say I Am… (Domino)
Scritti Politti – White Bread Black Bear (Nonesuch/Rough Trade)
Silversun Pickups – Carnavas (Dangerbird)
Thom Yorke – The Eraser (XL)

SINGLES:
Justin Timberlake – SexyBack (Jive)
Gnarls Barkley – Crazy (Downtown/Atlantic)
Neil Young – Let’s Impeach the President (Reprise)
My Chemical Romance – Welcome to The Black Parade (Reprise)
The Raconteurs – Steady As She Goes (V2)
Editors – Munich (Fader)
Green Day and U2 – The Saints are Coming (Universal/Mercury)
The Rapture – Get Myself Into It (Universal)
Keane – Is It Any Wonder (Island)
OK Go – Here It Goes Again (Capitol)

YTD: >1,000 I lost count, but with the Tower feeding frenzy, I'm sure I topped 1,000 CDs for the year.
Much as I love the jewel box approach, with all the digital downloading I've been doing lately - even labels are sending links to free mp3's rather than hard copies - I'm guessing we won't hit that mark in 2007.
But that's not to say we won't try!

Happy New Year, close personal friends. Peace.

No comments: