Monday, May 01, 2006

Time flies, and so did I


To Seattle, last week, for business of the corporate media nature. Had a great time, work went well, and I got to see the Editors (and just a couple of songs by stellastarr*) at the funky little joint called Chop Suey. Mightily impressed by the Editors, whose lead singer creates an effortless enigma with a sonorous voice like the guy from Dead Can Dance set against pumping rhythms that stick. (“Munich” is now stuck in my head.)


I had only one day for sightseeing and, since the Experience Music Project cost $20 to get in, I only cruised the gift shop and chatted with the cute young cashier, who was amazed to hear that I saw Jimi Henrix open for the Monkees (I could be a museum piece myself, I fear). There was a symposium of rock journalists talking about Guilty Pleasures (Jem is truly outrageous!), but I didn’t partake.

Good radio in Seattle, too. The very first song I heard when I found the first rock station (WEXP) was from the new Loose Fur album. And there were at least two other stations I could have spent time with. How dismal DC radio is.

Haven't had a piece in the Post lately. Had my biweekly week off since the paper as publishing regional guides for the two counties I write for. I did see my name in a magazine again after a long time - the Marh/April issue of Hyperactive magazine, where I had a short interview with Emily Haines of the Canadian band Metric and a review of an indepdent CD by The Endless. The magazine doesn't post everything online but, until I get around to scanning and loading it up myself, here's a
taste.

Monday, May 1st:
Purchased:
1.SPACE MONKEYS Versus GORILLAZ – Laika Come Home (Astralwerks)
Part of the continuing obsession with all things Gorillaz, saw this on in a discography of the band and ordered via Amazon. Trippy dub reworkings of songs I don’t recognize in their new form, for the most part. Laid-back and inherently cool.
Sent:
2.BARNEY – Let’s Go to the Farm (Koch)
3.BARNEY – Let’s Go to the Beach (Koch)
The anti-Gorilla strikes again. Maybe a doped-out dub version of “Icy Creamy Ice Cream,” could make him cool? Nah.

While I was in Seattle last week, these arrived:
4. ELF POWER – Back to the Web (Ryko)
I thought they were English, but they’re actually Athens, GA indie-pop rockers, born of the Elephant 6 collective. There’s a mixed bag of influences here – Dylan, T. rex, Pink Floyd - which makes for a fun ride.
They were at the IOTA on April 27th; wish I’d gotten this sooner.
5. TRESA JORDAN – S/T (South River Road)
More girly country pop.
Out on July 4th.
6. SAM ROBERTS – Chemical City (Secret Brain/Fontana)
The press sheet is pushing these guys with comparisons to Radiohead and the Clash. Whoa, boys. That way lies backlash.
7. ANNIE SIDLEY – Diamond in the Sand (My Money Records)
The good news is, this local diva with a Big Voice and good taste in blues rock belters (her own and covers) has graced me with a Thank You in her liner notes. The bad news is, she added an “s” to my last name (which, BTW, happened at the end of my bizniz meeting last week, when the speaker at the podium thanked me and my partner for the video presentation we put together).
8. DAVID FORD – I Sincerely Apologize for All the Trouble I’ve Caused (Independiente/Columbia)
The Parental Advisory makes it sound likes it gonna be all tough and street, but Ford’s really a new rock/folk kinda guy, with KCRW airplay to make me pay attention right off the bat. It’s also cool that he used his local football club, Team Sundry, to provide choral voices.

Tuesday, April 25:
Purchased:
9. IMOGENE HEAP – Speak for Yourself (RCA Victor)
Sent:
10. CHEVREUIL – Capoeria (Sick Room Records)
11. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Sick Room Records sampler
12. FINAL FANTASY – He Poos Clouds (Tomlab)

Friday, April 21:
13. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN – We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions (Columbia)
America’s heartland hero (and once my passionate fave) makes an end-run around Red State piety by recording a slew of classic folk songs (oddly, none of them actually written by Seeger) that resound with political bite. This is, the press sheet says, the Boss’ 21st album. Wow.
Bruce is coming to town on May 28th, playing the obnoxiously-painful-to-get-to Nissan Pavilion, the same day as the better of the two-day HFStival, featuring Counting Crows, Strokes, Joan Jett and others at the also-painful-to-get-to Merriweather Post Pavilion. I heard Bruce had some harsh words for the government (“criminal ineptitude”) at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, but nothing’s gonna beat watching the Internet feed of Stephen Colbert doing his unfiltered best to debunk Bush at the AP dinner over the weekend. My heroes! And soon, new Pearl Jam and Neil Young, singing outrage. Count me in.
14. MERCY ME – Coming Up to Breathe (Ino/Columbia)
The way the letters ran together on the cover, I thought the band’s name was Mercume (thought the lower part of the Y was a graphic embellishment).

Wednesday, April 19:
15. VARIOUS ARTISTS – My Dil Goes Mmmmm…(Love Songs)(Yash Raj Films)
The funky cool Indian spices store offers mystery ingredients, cheap rentals of Bollywood DVD’s and a rack of surprisingly cheap (but not cheap looking - $6.99) Indian music imports. Not sure what the title track means, but it’s damn catchy.

Monday April 17:
16. JEHRO – S/T (Recall Records)
US debut of a French troubadour with an angelic voice and rhythms that swing between Caribbean and American grassroots.

Sunday, April 16:
CD Cellar trade-ins:
17. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Acoustic 05 (V2)
2-CD set, 38-tracks, covering a nice spectrum of stuff that would fit well in a British version of Paste – Mercury Rev, Nick Drake, Amy Mann, Zutons, Wainwrights Rufus and Martha. A nice set to have in the car as instant radio.
18. CASSANDRA WILSON – Blue Skies
19. SUGARCULT – DVD/CD (Artemis)
20. BETH ORTON – Comfort of Strangers (Astralwerks)
Limited edition includes second disc with 5 tracks.

From the $1.99 clearance:
21. The DEVLINS – Waves (Nettwerk America)
22. NORTH MISSISSIPPI ALL-STARS – Electric Blue Watermelon Screwed and Chopped EP (ATO)
23. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Piece of Cake: 20 Years of Ryko (Ryko)
Big Star, Josh Rouse, Warren Zevon and Flaming Lips – and they’re just in the first 5 tracks! This is one of those discs I may already have in the deep files, but I couldn’t risk missing out at this price.
The BRINDLEY BROTHERS – Playing with the Light (Paste)
I bought this one for a video-making friend, whom I am trying to convince to do some taping of the band for possible promotion purposes. (Won’t count it in the total.)
24. MIDDLE DISTANCE RUNNER – free EP (self-released)
Yeah, I’ve got the whole set now – the official full-length, and a couple of the band’s hand-made promos. Finally played some of the music and liked the easy pop charm.

Saturday, April 15:
25. ROCKNOCEROS – S/T (self-released)
Cute music in a charming package by a local kids act that packs ‘em in every week at local coffee joint, Jammin Java.
26. The MAMMALS – Departure (Humble Abode/Signature Sounds)
Unlike past Mammals albums, there is no traditional music on this album. Instead, the Woodstock, NY-based band covers the South American protest anthem “Sólo le pido a Dios,” and reinvent songs from Morphine (“Do Not Go Quietly Unto Your Grave”) and Nirvana (“Come as You Are”).
27. GLEN PHILLIPS – Mr. Lemons (Umami/Highwire)
Purchased:
28. MATT NATHANSON – At the Point (Acrobat)
29. BRIAN ENO & DAVID BYRNE – My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (Nonesuch)
30. ELVIS COSTELLO & The BRODSKY QUARTET – The Juliet Letters (Rhino)
31. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Deluxe Edition Sampler, Volume 3 (UM)
One of those in-store freebies. 11 Tracks, maybe half of which I’ll grab for the iPod – including Weezer’s “Undone” (Kitchen Tape Demo), Diana Ross (“I’m Coming Out”) and a 12” Rick James mix (“Give It to Me Baby”).

Leftovers from previous tally:
32. MELANIE MASON – Lonesome is I (self-released)
33. MELANIE MASON – Live at Blues Alley (self-released)
34. DeSOLE – A Story to Tell (Abacus Recordings)
Official release of a title I got a while back as a slim-line advance. The official release has a nice design element – the “cover” is actually a black type-on-clear sticker that’s stuck directly to the jewel case, with the booklet serving as backdrop.
35. DANNY MORRIS – Live! DVD
Former hometown hero who split to Florida and is coming back for a few gigs.
36. UMPHREY’S McGEE – Safety in Numbers (SCI Fidelity)
Second copy.
37. The BLEACHERS – Suspicion (Village Industries)

Purchased:
38. GORILLAZ – Demon Days Live DVD (Virgin)
The audio version of this work made it to my Top Ten for last year, and this live presentation is sheer exhiliration. I’m terribly jealous of the crowd in Manchester who got to see this extravaganza in person. When Damon Albarn and Co. recorded the CD, I don’t think they ever envisioned trying to reproduce all the orchestral parts, samples and guest stars live. But when they did it, they spared no effort. It’s like “Carmina Burana” for the trip-rock set – a children’s chorus, a Gospel chorus, a stage full of instrumentalists, rockers and Djs. And Albarn slumps at a piano in the back, barely seen against the colorful back screens (bigger video projection overhead) until he steps out for the encore, a lovely ballad, accompanied by a Japanese woman playing a long, low stringed thingy. This is his masterpiece, and he deserves our respect.

YTD Total: 257

No comments: