Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hearts and Flowers and CDs - A Valentine to (Mostly) Free Music

Today is Saturday, February 19th and there was no music in the mail.
No Fed Ex on the weekend.
Nothing.
Sigh.
Ah, but it was a fairly good week before that.
How do I love getting new CDs? Let me count the ways...

Friday, February 18:
1. LITTLE BARRIE - We Are Little Barrie (Artemis)
Generic CD case advance, follow-up to a previously-sent sampler. Aha! There is one track on the 7-song sampler- "Mud Sticks" - that does not appear on the 13-track full-length, unless its title was changed. This demands investigation, Watson.
(out May 17)
2. KATHLEEN EDWARDS - Back to Me (Zoe/Rounder)
Official version of an album I've gotten previously as both a sampler and a generically packaged advance.
This is the sign of a publicity push.
(out March 1)

also in Friday's mail:
a check from the Village Voice, for my blurb quote in the Pazz & Jop Poll.
I got $10.
That's why I don't feel guilty getting all the free CDs.
What I make writing about music is not gonna put the kids through college.

Thursday, February 17:
3. AMOS LEE - S/T (EMI/Blue Note)
One of those happy little surprises that I might never have asked for, but liked muchly upon hearing. Still getting over a bout of strep throat (can I get the sympathy vote, please?), I was looking for a mellow CD for the mid-afternoon recuperation lie-down, and this one fit the bill beautifully. Lee cites Bill Withers, Neil Young, James Taylor and John Prine as influences, and the songs here make a nice blend of those voices. He's best when he's crooning in a gentle, soulful way; on the one attempt to get louder and funkier, "Love in the Lies," his voice is overwhelmed by the arrangement which, elsewhere are dead-on lovely. And speaking of lovely, Norah Jones guests on couple of tracks.

Wednesday, February 16:
4. BREAKING BENJAMIN - We Are Not Alone (Hollywood)
Not my type of music, but I'll always say a kind word for this band since two members of same, hanging out at Reston Town Center the day of the HFS Nutcraker concert, were nice to my daughter and a friend when they asked for autographs. As compared to Benji and Joel of Good Charlotte, who blew off a group of about 10 girls who spied them in a nearby restuarant. That night, when Joel gave his usual speech on stage about how much the band's fans mean to them, it rang very hollow.
5. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - Here Come the ABC's (Disney/DVD)
I have always been a fan of the two Johns, even before they came as uninvited (but most welcome) guests to a 20-something birthday party of mine in Brooklyn (back before they were stars) and brought me a cigar-box hat with a tiny camera attached to it. I doubt they remember me now, and I hardly remember them at the party (still have the hat, tho) and have enjoyed numerous concerts and countless CDs since.

Tuesday, February 15:
6. KINGS OF LEON - Aha Shake Heartbreak (RCA)
I thought the debut CD was downright catchy, Terry got hooked on the "Holy Roller Novacaine" EP, and now we're totally psyched to see the band for the first time next weekend at the 930 Club. I asked a publicist for an advance of the CD (out Feb. 22) so I could get familiar with the new songs before the show. On first, admittedly superficial, listen, I still think they're damn catchy but Terry, who's been paying much greater attention, thinks that I'm going to sour on them once I really tune into the lyrics. "They're redneck alpha males," he keeps warning me. "Yeah," I answer with rock-critic pomposity, "but there's a post-modern irony to that stance."

Monday, February 14:
Purchased:
7. FRANZ FERDINAND - S/T (Domino)
I bought it again. It was on sale, it was the expanded edition (two discs, with four new tracks) and Gracie loves them. So do I. The band's performance at the HFS Nutcracker concert was a highlight of the event, maybe of the year. Besides, the advance copy I got long ago had no liner notes. I voted this album in my Top Ten for the VV poll and I vote with my consumer dollar!
8. ROD STEWART - Stardust: The Great American Songbook Volume III (J Records)
My mom requested this one, so I bought it to share with her, on sale, with bonus DVD: "AOL Music presents Rod Stewart In Concert." Not bad for $9.00.
Sent:
9. THE GRASCALS - S/T (Rounder)
I requested a copy of this CD last fall, when the band was opening for Dolly Parton, and I wrote about the show. Wish they had told me then that the CD wasn't due out until February 2005. I wouldn't have felt dissed when it didn't come. (Adding to the dis, I couldn't get tix to the show, even tho' I wrote Dolly a glowing preview.)

And others:

10. BARENAKED LADIES - Disc One: All Their Greatest Hits 1991-2001 (Reprise)
Belated Christmas gift to Emma from her uncle. I didn't come up to speed with BNL until four albums into their career. Silly me. Delighfully silly them. Witty songwriters, good musicians and great live, they also have some soul underneath the smirk. "Pinch Me" is a Desert Island single, one of my all-time favorite songs, a wonderful evocation of ruminative summer days.

11. UNWRITTEN LAW - Here's to the Mourning (Lava)
Not an album I would think twice about, but when I was driving with Gracie and listening to Carson Daily's countdown on the radio (something else I wouldn't do without her influence), this band was Catch of the Week, "Save Me (Wake Up Call)" was this week's free iTunes download, and Grace said "I love this song." I was expecting something harsh, but it wasn't half bad. I - meaning she - will no doubt hear more from this band in future and we'll pass it on.

12. LUNASA - The Kinnitty Sessions (Compass)
Celtic music makes me feel good. Not that treacly "Danny Boy" stuff, mind you; but the ballsy, spit-at-the-devil pub music that defies everything that may go wrong in a good, god-fearing person's life. Dance your sorrows away music. Like this.

13. STEPHEN KELLOGG & THE SIXERS - (Universal)
Duplicate copy of advance sent previously in simple plastic sleeve. Didn't impress on first listen, but the band is coming to town next week at my favorite local joint, Jammin' Java, and the live rep is so good, I may just check 'em out.

Tower Records online purchase:
14. MANDY MOORE - Coverage (Epic)
A teen pop star with taste! Appears in the movie "Saved," keeps her clothes on and acknowledges the songwriting craft of XTC, Todd Rundrgen, Mike Scott, and John Hiatt. Bet she doesn't lip-synch, either!
15. RAZORLIGHT - Up All Night (Universal)
Tower online sometimes offers cool extras with its purchases - free T-shirts, posters, buttons, even autographed copies of new stuff. Saw this band on Letterman and was impressed. CD came with a bonus 7" vinyl single.

Traded in some books at the used book store and got:
16. JON STEWART and THE CAST OF THE DAILY SHOW - America: The Audiobook (Time Warner AudioBooks)
I'm happily married, but if Jon Stewart crooked his finger, I'd be there. And Steve Colbert has shown up in my dreams. Smart men with a sense of humor; it doesn't get better than that!

And, finally, another desperate attempt to play catch-up:

17. THE BLUE VAN - The Art of Rolling (TVT Records)
18. ALANA DAVIS - Surrender Dorothy (Tigress Records)
19. SNOW MACHINE - S/T (Daemon)
20. PARCHMAN FARM - S/T (Jackpine)
21. JACK LOGAN and the MONDAY NIGHT RECORDERS - Nature's Assembly Line (Orangetwin Records)
22. FOXYMORONS - Hesitation Eyes (Heatstroke Records)
23. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Raise the Roof: A Retrospective Live from the Barns of Wolf Trap (Wolf Trap Foundation)
24. MAN ON EARTH - Disposable Sounds for the Fickle Mind (Forward Thinking Music)
25 GRAHAM COXON - Happiness in Magazines (Astralwerks)
26. DEANA CARTER - The Story of My Life (Vanguard)
(out March 8th)
27. SAGE FRANCIS - A Healthy Distrust (Epitaph)
28. RAT CAT HOGAN - We're Bicoastal (Skyrocki Records)
29. RHONDA VINCENT and THE RAGE - Ragin' Live (Rounder)
30. LILY HOLBROOK - Everything was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt (EMI)

No comments: